Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Collings Acoustic Guitars    My new Collings BabyBbA arrived! Add pickguard or not? Please advice! (pics included)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Lambo, Rockerbob
Go
New
Find
Tools

My new Collings BabyBbA arrived! Add pickguard or not? Please advice! (pics included)
 Login/Join 
"Admin"
Picture of Ed
posted
My Collings BabyBbA arrived. The top is Bearclaw Adirondack Top. Should I leave it as is to display all the Bearclaw or should I put in on to pair with my OM2HAV(also Bearclaw Adirondack Top)?

The Brazilian Back Big Grin

I placed the pickguard on top of the Baby:

More pics HERE!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ed,

Posts: 1886 | Location: Hong Kong | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a sweet couple! Interesting to see how the OM top has yellowed some compared to the Baby. I'd say if you need the pickguard to prevent scratching the top, then put it on. Otherwise, leave it off.

'99 D1A

Posts: 2341 | Location: Georgia, US | Registered: March 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! look at those bearclaws & the dark Braz. Is that FI pins? Tell us abt the sound.

I find the small Baby looks better without pickguard. It wl indeed cover much of the beautiful bearclaws on such small gtr. What a waste then! You can add it on if u change yr mind later. But if u put it on now, that's permanent.

Anyway, congrats! The wait is over. You are finally reunited with the Baby once again! So wl we see Forum gtr 3 Wink

2006 Collings OM-1ESS

Posts: 574 | Location: Singapore | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto, Ed. If you flat pick even a little, you need the guard. I don't think it hurts the appearance a bit.

Great looking instrument. I think you are either #8 or #9 to have a Brazilian Baby. As you know, mine is on consignment at Cotten. I'm having a 00-42 built.

I won't be disappointed if it doesn't sell!

Bill Miller

Posts: 707 | Location: Kirkwood, MO USA | Registered: August 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
looking at how much room there is from the sound
hole will one fit?

Collings DS2HMhA Bubba
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings C 10ASBSS "Lil' Herb"
Some nice Martins
We are not called to judge, but to witness.
"We are called to be witness' not to be Judges"

Posts: 837 | Location: Suburbs of Atlanta | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Admin"
Picture of Ed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomcat:
Wow! look at those bearclaws & the dark Braz. Is that FI pins? Tell us abt the sound.

I find the small Baby looks better without pickguard. It wl indeed cover much of the beautiful bearclaws on such small gtr. What a waste then! You can add it on if u change yr mind later. But if u put it on now, that's permanent.

Anyway, congrats! The wait is over. You are finally reunited with the Baby once again! So wl we see Forum gtr 3 Wink

TomCat, those are not FWI pins but bone pins I ordered from Stewmac. The Baby is almost as LOUD as the OM given that this OM is already the loudest OM I every own! It has great projection, lots of note definition and sustain. It is definitely a bright sounding guitar. It don't have the boxy kind of tone from other small body guitar I tried (e.g the 36 Martin 018 I owned). When compare to the standard Baby I briefly owned (99 model). It is better in every way. It sound more like a full size guitar.. not sure if it is due the Brazilian/Adi. combo or Collings just improved their quality again.

The OM is definitely fuller, richer and with bigger bass! But not a lot louder. The short scale of the Baby make it very comfortable to play but the saddle spacing is a little too narrow especially after I played my OM2HAV with a 2 3/8 saddle spacing!

I thank the folks at Collings again for building such an extrodinary guitar for me again. The OM2HAV was ordered an completed at 2004. And this BabyBbA 2006. Following the same frequency, I wish to have number 3 completed by 2008! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ed,

Posts: 1886 | Location: Hong Kong | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Baby - Ed. Congratulations. I wish I could have one of those. Maybe someday. I think it looks better without the pickguard. If you mostly fingerpick, I'd say leave it out. If you want to protect it, maybe you can put one of those transparent ones so you don't cover any part of the bearclaw at all. Awesome guitar. THanks for sharing.

Ace
------------------------------------------------

Posts: 967 | Location: Martinez, (Bay Area) CA | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fantastic guitar, I like it with or without pickguard. I don't think the guard detracts from the look at all.

Posts: 239 | Location: England | Registered: April 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Goodall has a clear pickguard that serves both functions. I didnt think I would like it, but it is nice. I dont think Ive ever seen adi with that much bearclaw and that braz. on the OM sure is straight. Sure they didn't give ya sitka/indian by mistake Smile

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a cool "little" guitar!
Looks great w/ or w/o the gaurd.
I love the bearclaw adi top.

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 578 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a clear pickguard. Seems that would give you the best of both worlds.
Great looking top on that.
Nate

Posts: 67 | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for not covering that amazing wood. And why would you flatpick the heck out of a baby guitar, anyway? Just askin'!

Posts: 9532 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post