Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Technical and Repair Info.    ToneRite Play-In Accelerator Results
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 49

Moderators: Lambo, Rockerbob
Go
New
Find
Tools

ToneRite Play-In Accelerator Results
 Login/Join 
posted
This thread was started to report summarized results from ToneRite use on member guitars. The data was culled from reports in the ToneRite thread in the General Discussion section (here), from results posted in this thread, and from PM's sent by members. The chart shows the distribution of results and the tables in the posts that follow show more detail.

As of June 2, 2010, I stopped updating results in the charts. At 122 respondents, we clearly have a statistically valid sample size. Conclusion:

On average, steel string flat top guitar players believe that ToneRite use resulted in improved tone in their guitars, and that better results were achieved by using the ToneRite for longer than the recommended 72-hour initial treatment.

In deference to all you good folks who do this for a living there is this disclaimer: Please note that polling was conducted entirely within the population of Collings Forum members. The results are therefore not a random sample from the population of all ToneRite users. It can be argued that forum members share certain characteristics that would affect the reported results.

ToneRite users of this forum were asked to rate their experience by answering the following question:

After initial use of the ToneRite device the tone of my guitar was:

7 - Dramatically improved
6 - Moderately improved
5 - Somewhat improved
4 - Unchanged
3 - Somewhat worse
2 - Moderately worse
1 - Dramatically worse

Number of guitars in summary: 122
Average reported effect: 6.0

On page 31 of this topic is a chart that shows the relationship of results to length of treatment: quick link to chart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jim S,

Posts: 692 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: May 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you reported multiple ToneRite sessions I reported the total of all your sessions in the Treatment column. If I've left off your results or reported them incorrectly, PM me and I'll make corrections.

After initial use of the ToneRite device the tone of my guitar was:

7 - Dramatically improved
6 - Moderately improved
5 - Somewhat improved
4 - Unchanged
3 - Somewhat worse
2 - Moderately worse
1 - Dramatically worse

Posts: 692 | Location: Dana Point, CA | Registered: May 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(continued)

posted Hide Post
First, thanks again. this, I think, will be of considerable ongoing value, at least to me.
So, thus far: we have 32 entries. Of these, three do not show outcome numbers. Thus, we can arrive at two averages. With the 29 responses with result numbers, the average is 5.89. If we include the 3 with zero (which certainly will not be the final outcome) the average is 5.34. To quote Buffalo Springfield: something's happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.... tom and thanks again!

Posts: 9570 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it's helpful to you. It was getting difficult to pull any real info out of that original thread. Who got what result on what kind of guitar after how long a session? My head hurt.

Sure it's subjective but in general I trust the folks on this forum to report their honest perceptions. Funny how common people's characterization of the tone change has been:
  • Inceased volume
  • Increased resonance
  • Smoother trebles

"Moderator"
Picture of Lambo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim S:
Funny how common people's characterization of the tone change has been:
  • Inceased volume
  • Increased resonance
  • Smoother trebles

First, thanks for extrapolating this data from the other thread, a novel which has become unreadable. This is very helpful.

The above characterizations are exactly what I'd expect from a device like this.

Posts: 6741 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim: Again, thank you, noble sire, for this methodical approach to a 40 page scattershot approach. As this data accumulates, I have to think it will become more and more instructive, and more valuable.
So: since I am about to take a couple weeks treading this path, how would you like the information submitted? I want to make this as easy as possible for you. Lord knows you've done that for the rest of us! I don't expect to report for at least a week or so, and I will control every variable within my limited range of control. the strings will be the same age (new) and the same brand and gauge to which I and the guitars are accustomed. I can adjust for "new string zing". I've changed strings on these two dozens of times (upwards of 50 each, I'd suspect). So, what's easy, besides my shutting up? thanks, tom

posted Hide Post
Tom, I just need the model of guitar, it's age, how long you ran the ToneRite and your opinion of the guitar's tone using the rating scale above. Everything else is wildly out of control. Some people change strings afterward, some don't. Some people disconnect the ToneRite and check the progress along the way, others let it run uninterrupted.

Looking forward to hearing your results for The Alien and the CJ!

posted Hide Post
It shall be so. My thought, dim as it is, is that I do not know what three days of vibration do to a set of strings. If I slap on a new set, I know what that does, and any Tonerite fatigue will be out of the loop. Heaven knows I am! The CJ should be vibrating by the end of the day. Me? Who knows. thanks again, tom

posted Hide Post
Updated results of my latest use. I have a 1934 Gibson L-00 that was recently re-topped (Sitka), so some of the guitar is real old, the other part is brand new. The guitar sounds very old and broken in, was VERY loud before treatment, really, I didn't think it needed the ToneRite and did not expect much. To be certain I left this one running for 4 days.

My results were about as expected, no change that I can ascertain. It was great before the treatment, it still is.

Mark this one a "4" on the table.

Posts: 962 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the sake of completeness of the above chart, my Huss & Dalton TDM Custom is mahogany/adirondack.

Posts: 513 | Registered: March 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that FreeBlues 1940 Gibson J-35 shows that it received no treatment yet it's given a 4 in the results column . Is this a mistake or am I overlooking something .

Also the 45 page ToneRite thread seems to have disappeared or been moved , does anyone know what happened ? I keep getting a " Did not find any data for this TOPIC " error message .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: guitaristordinate,

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post