Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Technical and Repair Info.    primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Moderators: Lambo, Rockerbob
Go
New
Find
Tools

primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My mando was varnished, with no negative results/marks on the top from the PV.

Chris
Crockett, TX

Posts: 300 | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks for the varnish data point. That makes me a little less concerned, but not quite carefree.

Still shaking the daylights out of my Huss, with the Merrill on deck. I am VERY intrigued to pull this gadget off and test the results!

Here's a possible PV conundrum. If we experience great results, does that start the painful process of reconsidering guitars we've sold and wishing we could have PV'd them first? I can think of a certain D1AV Varnish that was a monster but seemed a little shrill at the time; maybe the PV would have taken that edge right off. Ouch!

Posts: 227 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can think of a certain D1AV Varnish that was a monster but seemed a little shrill at the time; maybe the PV would have taken that edge right off. Ouch!
for a period of time I felt much the same way about my stock D-1A, does anyone feel that model just needs time, some of the characteristics that make it so loud with superior cutting power do tend to make it a bit shrill,some of the edge can be toned down with strings,picks,saddles, & as some have said technique, these breakin devises to me are ideal for the D-1A, of coarse time & playing would be the ultimate, I know my 2005 has smoothed out

Kopp K-35
Collings D-1A
2010LesPaul studio deluxe
Classic Vibe Franken Tele
Vintage V-130 LesPaul Jr.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Stark county Ohio | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Results are in...

After letting the PV run on my Huss and Dalton DS Custom (mahogany/adi slope) for about 24 hours, I was ready for an initial test. The first thing I noticed was a HUGE increase in sustain, and the guitar just feels more alive overall - with every strum, I can feel it vibrate all over the body and down to the end of the neck. I don't notice a change in volume, just increased liveliness and sensitivity.

Now, what I have loved about this guitar is the sparkle on the high end combined with the dry midrange and deep, taut bass. The dryness also made it sound pretty fundamental (i.e. not rich in overtone content). After the PV, it seems warmer and there seems to be more harmonic content. There also seems to be more unity amng the strings (i.e. chords seems to blend more), but less of that dry, woody fundamental tone that I loved.

I expected it to get dryer and more fundamental, and it seems to have done the opposite. Clearly the PV had a profound impact, but I'm not sure it's taken this guitar in an entirely good (for me) direction. You could argue that it would eventually get where the PV took it, but who knows? This is, of course, a very early impression, so I'll keep playing it and see how I feel and report back.

Rattling my Merrill now...

Posts: 227 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of Lambo
posted Hide Post
Tests have been largely positive. That's good to hear.

I'm assuming most, if not all, have based their reports on what they heard immediately after the PV was removed, which would be a warmed guitar. Is there anyone who has left the guitar sitting at least a few hours before the initial playing? There was one TR'd guitar that was left overnight just after the TR was removed and it was the guitar with the least noticeable change. These two devices are not identical, though similar enough to exhibit some congruences. I'm wondering if the same would be true for the PV.

Another way to test this is to let it sit for a day and see how you feel the next day. That would be enough time for it to cool, or sleep, or nap, or whatever you'd call it.

Posts: 6718 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mostly Drummer:
Results are in...

After letting the PV run on my Huss and Dalton DS Custom (mahogany/adi slope) for about 24 hours, I was ready for an initial test. The first thing I noticed was a HUGE increase in sustain, and the guitar just feels more alive overall - with every strum, I can feel it vibrate all over the body and down to the end of the neck. I don't notice a change in volume, just increased liveliness and sensitivity.

Now, what I have loved about this guitar is the sparkle on the high end combined with the dry midrange and deep, taut bass. The dryness also made it sound pretty fundamental (i.e. not rich in overtone content). After the PV, it seems warmer and there seems to be more harmonic content. There also seems to be more unity amng the strings (i.e. chords seems to blend more), but less of that dry, woody fundamental tone that I loved.

I expected it to get dryer and more fundamental, and it seems to have done the opposite. Clearly the PV had a profound impact, but I'm not sure it's taken this guitar in an entirely good (for me) direction. You could argue that it would eventually get where the PV took it, but who knows? This is, of course, a very early impression, so I'll keep playing it and see how I feel and report back.

Rattling my Merrill now...

I've sold guitars in the past that I loved at first but when they opened up like this I couldn't get along with them. This is mostly because favour a dry crisp tone without too much sustain or overtone.
Phil

Posts: 1592 | Location: UK | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My OM2HGcust (deep body) was pVed over a month ago. It still has the increased sustain and warmth that I thought the pV brought out. It probably needs new strings, which would sound nice also. The "icing" the pV brought remains on that guitar.
My D2HBbAV has not shown much difference. I see it is much harder in the woods. I will run some acoustic music through it for a few days when I get some time to do so. I think it needs more seasoning than the German/EIR needed.

Bob K

Posts: 1147 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I get one to try, I'm gonna put it on a classical music station 24/7. Lots of dynamics.
Phil28: slightly off topic- okay, completely- but you mention a preference for "dry crisp tone". I've been testing out Pearse Nickel acoustic strings for about three weeks now, and I like 'em a lot. they do differ from PB that's the current standard, and one way they do is in having a more pronounced fundamental and less overtone. All the volume of the other, and more controllable sustain. Might be worth you while to test drive a set, with or without primevibing. tom

Posts: 9507 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom,
I have a set of them in light gauge in the drawer waiting to try once I decide which guitar I want to give them a go on.
Phil

Posts: 1592 | Location: UK | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: (others please pardon the cross-talk) I've had them on the D1VSB (var. baggettii) and the Alien for about three weeks. the mahogany guitar seems to like the a shade better, but the body types and woods could not be more different. And the Alien would be fine with rubber bands or baling wire. In a few days, I'll switch 'round, and slap a set on the CJA. A couple more weeks will tell the tale. My suspicion: I'll keep some sets on hand for a change of pace. It's a whole lot cheaper than another guitar. best tom

Posts: 9507 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mostly Drummer:
Okay, thanks for the varnish data point. That makes me a little less concerned, but not quite carefree.

If you're concerned about your varnished top, what about an idea: place a yellow post-it note under the PV modules (minus the sticky part). It should still give the vibrations almost uninhibited, and the modules wouldn't be directly touching the top. You may be able to think of something else, but sticky-note is what I came up with.

Chris
Crockett, TX

Posts: 300 | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I was telling a friend about the PrimeVibe. He wasnt familiar with it or the Tonerite ect. I tell him the gist of what it is supposed to do and that it should make your guitar sweeter and hotter. He says "Oh, Id like to put it under my wifes pillow."... Smile

Posts: 83 | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post