Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Technical and Repair Info.    primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderators: Lambo, Rockerbob
Go
New
Find
Tools

primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you have more regard for your guitar and its gear than you do for your wife, you are greatly to be pitied. tom

Posts: 9461 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could we please keep this thread focused on primeVibe results? Thank you.

Bob K

Posts: 1139 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KairosKraft:

Well, if you're intersted you could read my recent review about the PV.

This dude (dehanson1) has sidetracked this thread twice already with his inane comments, so I don't see any problem in letting him know his foolish comments aren't welcome. Without his idiotic comments, this thread WOULD be on focus.

Chris
Crockett, TX

Posts: 296 | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccravens:
quote:
Originally posted by KairosKraft:

Well, if you're intersted you could read my recent review about the PV.

This dude (dehanson1) has sidetracked this thread twice already with his inane comments, so I don't see any problem in letting him know his foolish comments aren't welcome. Without his idiotic comments, this thread WOULD be on focus.

I share your sentiments.

Posts: 1534 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehanson1:
Fasthand, my apologies to you. Yall took me way too seriously. And yes I bought a PV. Testing it on 2 guitars right now. And really, it just sounds like there is a radio on in the other room.Its not annoying at all unless you hate listening to music.

dehanson1 apology accepted,& to rest of you with supportive remarks God bless you as I get deeper in my 50s I become more aware of the importance of whats right, moving on
Would any of you that have used the device have an opinion on using say blankets over the guitar while on the PV process to help suppress the volume?

Kopp K-35
Collings D-1A
2010LesPaul studio deluxe
Classic Vibe Franken Tele
Vintage V-130 LesPaul Jr.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Stark county Ohio | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of Lambo
posted Hide Post
What irks me about this sidetracked adventure are the sour words thrown back at a person who failed in his attempt at humor, an attempt he quickly explained and then apologized for. If off-handed, unnecessary comments are the issue, you could count red flags on either side.

Regardless, the forum reserves the right to entertain a certain level of lighthearted humor. Do we want a stoic environment where people with a little character are not welcome? I don't believe we do. We certainly don't want to offend, but I fail to see any offensiveness in the original comment.

There is no stereotypical Collings forum member - we're an accumulation of all types. A certain amount of tolerance and understanding or other folks is necessary. Otherwise, this would be a very small community.

fasthand has already accepted the apology and moved on. Let's join him and get this thread back to the PrimeVibe where it belongs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lambo,

Posts: 6686 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elambo - I totally get where you're coming from. If it would have been the case of one mistaken comment, apology given, apology accepted, and moving on. But it wasn't. He's done this before in this very thread, and that made it different for me. Surely you see the difference. I like that this forum is pretty much free of trollish behavior, one of the few on the internet, and I'd love for it to stay that way. Maybe I overreacted a little for that reason.

fasthand - I think that is an aweseome idea, and I wished I'd have tried it while I had the unit. Maybe someone on this thread who's getting the unit will try this. My only concern it that it might inhibit the top from vibrating somewhat. Hopefully someone will see this thread and give it a try, even for just a few minutes to see if the volume can be dampened with inhibiting the top vibrating.

Or you could just try covering the instrument with a "cone of silence" like the dudes on "Get Smart." Smile

Chris
Crockett, TX

Posts: 296 | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
don't think someone won't try inventing the cone of silence. re slacking the strings during treatment to dampen the sound: is the top not designed to vibrate under tension? It might solve the problem of ambient noise in the house, but it would seem logical- if I still retain logical facility now that I'm officially 64- that the vigor of the vibration IS the treatment, and to lessen that is to lessen the effect. No? Primevibers? whaddya think?
re the whole kerfluffle/bicker-fest: I only made a remark because I was offended by subordinating your wife to a physical object. I will find that offensive as long as I have a pulse. tom

Posts: 9461 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not done pursuing the cone of silence I am by occupation a structural designer in the corrugated display & packaging industry (I design the displays blocking the aisles at your local retailers) so I have access to high density foam & corrugated board to build a sound restricting shroud,I am going to build one & test it with a boom box if that works I will anxiously watch for more reviews from the trials.
Hey Prime Vibe if this works we may have an accessory

Kopp K-35
Collings D-1A
2010LesPaul studio deluxe
Classic Vibe Franken Tele
Vintage V-130 LesPaul Jr.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Stark county Ohio | Registered: December 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with many here that the original wife/pants comments were a little harsh and felt they went a little beyond Elambo's summation. That said, an apology was made, so I also support moving on.

So, back to PV. I received this odd contraption on Wednesday (thanks, John C!) but unfortunately didn't have a chance to hook it up until this afternoon. It's now playing happily downstairs through my favorite guitar, a Huss and Dalton DS Custom. Merrill C18 and D2HA MadRose Varnish to follow (I need to read this whole thread - not sure whether varnish has been covered in terms of potential damage).

Now that I've tried it, I can't imagine I won't buy one of these things - it just makes a lot of sense. I'm still processing whether I think it should be more or less effective than a ToneRite, although clearly the "mechanism" is similar in that it vibrates the wood in one form or another.

Re: the wife issue, one suggestion is to do what I did and borrow her iPod for this exercise so at least the music is hers...

More to come...

Posts: 217 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other note - I tried damping the strings and found it didn't make much difference at all in the overall volume, so I decided to let them ring so more wood gets vibrated (neck, etc.). I guess the increasing wear on them could make it harder to discern a before/after difference, but that choice seemed to make sense to me.

Posts: 217 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mostly Drummer:

. . . D2HA MadRose Varnish to follow (I need to read this whole thread - not sure whether varnish has been covered in terms of potential damage).

Hey Mostly Drummer,

I have a D1A Varnish and am very intrigued by the primeVibe.

I share your concern about possible issues arising with the vibrating silicone pads and the soft/thin varnish finish.

I am anxious to hear your experiences with the primeVibe on your varnish guitar!

Thanks for any info you can share!

"louisiana" Smile

Posts: 1309 | Registered: July 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post