Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Technical and Repair Info.    primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

Moderators: Rockerbob, elambo
Go
New
Find
Tools

primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Squire Blues. Makes sense. For me, full circle: when we lived in Jackson Hole and everyone was gonna be off to school and work for the day, I'd prop my custom Taylor on a guitar stand as close as I could possible get it in front of an old Sansui floor speaker with a 15" bottom and several other speakers, and I'd tune it to the local fm semi continuous music station, and turn the sucker way, way up, and leave for eight hours. Less direct than the Vibe, by far, but not that different in principle. It's still the Jerry Lee axiom: whole lotta shakin' goin' on. thanks tom

Posts: 8890 | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So... it seems I'm number three on the list. I still need to figure out the source of the music that goes through the unit and onto the guitar. If I can get that figured out, I'm in. Ideas? I can't move the entire stereo system into the back vacant bedroom to vibrate the guitar. Borrow a Ipod? What? Pardon my ignorance, but I'm no techie, as I've proven ad infinitum. thanks tom

posted Hide Post
Tom,
Borrow an iPod or mp3. How about an old computer? I bought an extension chord at Radio Shack and plugged it into the headphone jack of the computer in my music room and put my guitars on a small box on one end and the case to my Zoom Handy h4n under the neck end. I, too, put it in the closet and closed the door (the door is closed on the room to keep the humidity in anyway). You'll figure something out. Someone somewhere said on a pool table, which is not a bad idea but mine is not near my sound source. But you must have some source of music. I used my Media Player music and put it on repeat so it ran through all my music many times. I liked it on Pandora with Michael Hedges as the station more than my diversed music, but Pandora (unless you pay them) stops every now and then. I'm thinking about running an acoustic CD on repeat next...

Bob K

Posts: 1068 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of elambo
posted Hide Post
You'll want music with energy, literally. No Zamfir or Sounds of the South Pole. Something with output.

btw - I'm reminded of these REAL sound of the South Pole. Yes, an animal is generating these tones!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbLynJJzkE0

Posts: 5109 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonoman:
Thanks, Squire Blues. Makes sense. For me, full circle: when we lived in Jackson Hole...

Debra and live about three hours SW of Jackson. I want to ride my steel-frame 9er hard-tail mountain bike from Bear Lake, UT to Jackson, WY this coming summer. I heard it's about five hours by trail motorcycle. No idea the time by bicycle. I owned about seventy motorcycles (none now) and used to love them. But mountain bikes are twice or thrice the fun and thrills, all while getting valuable exercise.

$99 primeVibe seasons all guitars including solid body and bass, violin, viola, cello, double bass, ukulele, harmonica, even drums! www.prime-Vibe.com

James Romeyn, Founder/CEO
Debra Romeyn, Manager

Posts: 30 | Location: Cache Valley, Utah, USA | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, I'm officially confused. Who's on the list? A second and possibly more important question: how do you have the guitar horizontal, but with the back not touching anything so it can vibrate? Levitation? This is not a commentary on the product, which might be miraculous, but, with the TR, all you had to do was put it on a good guitar stand in an out of the way place. How, exactly, does one situate the instrument so that the primeVibe does what it's supposed to do? thanks, tom

Hi Tom,
Great question! The website instruction images ("Product Info" page, glossy printed version in the kit) show the instrument touching only a small corner at the butt on the back, and just under the neck heel/body joint a few magazines and or thin books support the instrument to minimize body contact and maximize resonance. Not too high on the heel support, to minimize angle of tilt. The only thing better is a custom suspension device such as Michael Cone's from GAL Summer 2010 issue (see Guild of American Luthier or my reposting of the image I think here and at the Unofficial Martin Guitar forum). Also, our wonderful customer in So. Africa sent images and instructions to make an incredible facsimile of Cone's device for about $10 USD! I really like it and intend to make one. I'll post images and instructions at our website ASAP.

$99 primeVibe seasons all guitars including solid body and bass, violin, viola, cello, double bass, ukulele, harmonica, even drums! www.prime-Vibe.com

Debra Romeyn, Manager

Posts: 30 | Location: Cache Valley, Utah, USA | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. we'll be in Jackson Hole from June 25 until July 6. 11 days, which will be our longest stretch there since we left 14 years ago. If the time approaches and you're headed that way, I can tell you where to find us. won't be in town. there's no street address. no street lights, no pavement, no concrete, no tee vee. Water, stars, mountains, music, and my bride and me. Works for me. tom p.s so is Cache Valley south of Star Valley? If it's SW of Jackson, seems like that oughta be pretty close. Great countryside. I like Swan Valley (Idaho) also. sound of music country. can't beat the Rockies. thos

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by primeVibe:
quote:
Thanks, Squire Blues. Makes sense. For me, full circle: when we lived in Jackson Hole...

Debra and live about three hours SW of Jackson. I want to ride my steel-frame 9er hard-tail mountain bike from Bear Lake, UT to Jackson, WY this coming summer. I heard it's about five hours by trail motorcycle. No idea the time by bicycle. I owned about seventy motorcycles (none now) and used to love them. But mountain bikes are twice or thrice the fun and thrills, all while getting valuable exercise.

Don't need no in-vogue 9er. Full suspension is good... :-)

Posts: 1506 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FreeBlues:
Let me address two questions, part way for now. I laid my guitar flat on a carpeted surface, placed the two transducers on the top, connected to a spare laptop and played music continuously for 3 1/2 days (an iPod works equally well). The guitar was NOT suspended. It can be placed in its case I'm told, but this will lessen the vibration. No magic, no special equipment.

Now, compared to the ToneRite (TR), the most obvious disadvantage of the Prime Vibe (PV) is the need to lay the guitar flat. You will need a space that is safe from animals, children and careless adults. I used the closet I hang my guitars in, so no worries about someone (or something) crashing onto the guitar AND I had no worries about humidity or temperature. With the TR I could hang the guitar on its normal wall hanger (or stand) and not give it any further thought. Second, the PV turns your guitar into a very bad speaker and plays music. You will NOT be tempted to sell even your cruddy computer speakers and replace it with this system! The music should be as loud as possible, meaning it will be VERY annoying to any others who share the same house. Again, I placed my guitar inside a closet, closed the closet door, then closed the door to the room the closet is in. This cut the volume significantly, but not completely. No problem when no one is home, but I did turn the volume down to inaudible levels (inaudible behind two closed doors) when folks were around. The TR produced an annoying hum, but that sound more or less blended into the background and is (mostly) not an issue. A really cruddy speaker playing real music at just loud enough levels to be really annoying is hard to ignore.

So for convenience, the TR wins hands down.

Results will depend on all the usual things. I will get into that later. Suffice to say, I just purchased the PV. I used the TR on all my guitars last year and was very happy with the results - you can read my reviews on the ToneRite thread on this forum. Specifically, I used the TR on my Flammang for about a week at max sometime around last July. I love this guitar, liked what the TR did. I got on the PV demo list just because I am sort of a tweaker and was curious, I did not expect the change to be significant. It was. I did not intend nor did I really plan on purchasing the PV, but the results were good enough that I decided to do the rest on my guitars.

Is the PV "better" than the TR? I think so. A lot better? Maybe. Worth $100? Absolutely!

Wow. Very interesting.

Posts: 1506 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Special Alert:
I will individually email and/or PM this to every participant.

With seven participants I decided to circulate two primeVibes to decrease waits in queue. The primVibe shipped yesterday to member "John C." is now known as "List A". We ship #2 today to "ccravens" with "List B" with the same names as List A but in inverted sequence. Both primeVibe's eventually intersect somewhere toward the middle of the two lists.

The sum total change for participants is: Contact primeVibe to confirm whether to ship to the next person on the list OR return to primeVibe's palatial world HQ in beautiful Providence, Utah Smile

Debra Romeyn, Manager

posted Hide Post
sounds like a good deal at $99 if it really is "better" than the tonerite.

Posts: 1022 | Location: Durham, NC | Registered: September 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Responsive. Resonance. Loud. Alive. Dynamics.

Here’s my review of the Prime Vibe, as promised. The words above summarize my experience with this gizmo. In all cases, my treated guitars have improved, some dramatically, in the above characteristics. Most notable to me has been the near-amazing increase in responsiveness, the guitars are much more alive, the feel of the entire guitar vibrating and resonating in my hands is really something. They resonate more freely, subtle dynamic shadings are more obvious and easier to achieve. All are louder.

Okay, that’s the executive summary, here are the details. I treated three separate guitars, a Flammang Roy Smeck model, a 12 fret jumbo in mahogany and Adi, a B&H SJ, a Brazilian and Alpine recreation of a 1943 Gibson SJ and a Circa “7/8th Dread,” a 12 fret slope D in cocobolo and Engelmann. These are guitars I’ve owned for several years, am very familiar with and get played often. All three produced the results as noted above.

First the Flammang. This guitar has always been big, bad and loud, got a real attitude, can be a bit bright and cutting. I’ve strung this guitar with soft sounding lights strings (Thomastic Infeld), mostly finger pick, play all sorts of styles, but am particular to blues. What I wanted to happen with the PV was to slightly tame the aggressiveness, make it sound older, a bit mellower and closer to a vintage Smeck. I treated the guitar for 3 ½ days continuously, no breaks to test progress, playing acoustic guitar music for half the time, vintage rock for the remainder. I tended to set volume levels on the PV pretty high on this guitar, high enough that it was annoying at times to my wife.

When I finally pulled the PV off my first reaction was that overused “whoa!” The responsiveness, sense of total aliveness was much, much, much better. Not subtle at all. An already very loud guitar was louder. The tone has changed in a good, but subtle way. The aggressiveness is still there, it still has lots and lots of cut, but it is now sweeter, it’s lost that little bit of fatiguing treble that I wanted to lose. Again, the change in tone is subtle, it’s still the same guitar, and that’s a very good thing! It’s much more in the feel, the responsiveness, resonance and depth that the guitar has changed. It’s sort of more of a feeling than a hearing, sort of.

The results are, well, exceptional, exceeded my expectations, did all I wanted and much more. I’d give this one a 10 out of 10.

Next up was the B&H. . This guitar is simply a freak of nature, the only model of this guitar B&H has ever built (and a shame that is!). Huge sound, bass that will move walls, a midrange punch that is probably the best I’ve heard, big, fat, solid trebles. It is, in short, a Braz Gibson SJ that is beyond what most guitars can produce. Did I mention I’m sort of biased about this guitar? This guitar wears medium strings (Pearce pb’s) and is mostly played out and with a flatpick. I had used a ToneRite on this guitar a while back and was well pleased with those results, there was a slight ”zing” in this guitar, that new guitar greenness that I wanted to cure. For the most part the TR produced exactly what I wanted. I wanted to try the PV on this guitar really out of curiosity, see if anything changed, see if I could tell a difference. I didn’t honestly expect much, if anything. I ran this one 3 days, again continuously, all rock music this time, volume was a bit lower overall than on the Flammang, but only a bit.

Man, was I surprised! The guitar is all it ever was, but a couple notches more of almost everything. Slightly louder (a truly scary result), but that same resonance/responsiveness that I keep harping on. Deeper, bigger, a bit more sustain, but also just a touch clearer and more defined. Big and loud are of no use to me if the tone gets mushy, but I was surprised to find the clarity improved, string to string definition is actually slightly better. No, I don’t understand how this can be, just reporting my findings. The fun factor in playing this guitar has increased a bunch, the thing just really responds!

Now don’t misunderstand, the guitar didn’t go from a dog to the best thing on the planet. What the PV did was take an exceptionally good guitar and made it slightly better, noticeable, but still slight. Am I glad I did it? You bet! If this were the only guitar I treated and I had to spend $100 to get the PV, I’d say I got my money’s worth, just. I’d call this an 8 out of 10.

Finally, I just finished treating my Circa. This guitar was also treated a while back with the ToneRite and this was one I had no results with at all. The guitar is very well broken in and gets played a lot. There is nothing I would change on this guitar in terms of tone or playability. I did not really expect the PV to affect it much since I’d had no real change with the TR, but, given what I’d found with the Flammang and B&H, I was curious to see if anything would happen. I ran this treatment for 5 days, continuously, playing rock music at relatively low levels. No annoying odd noises coming from the treatment closet!

I’ve just now pulled it out and have been playing it for about 3 hours. The change is not as profound as it was on the Flammang, but change it did. More of the same words I’ve used all along, responsive, alive, resonant. As with the B&H I find what was a great guitar now has more of everything that made it great to start. Since I had almost a zero level of expectations for this guitar, I’ll report that I am surprised, very pleasantly surprised. Give this one a 6 out of 10.

So, that’s it for now. I have a couple other guitars that I will treat, likely running the sessions closer to the 5+ days and using lower volumes. I guess by now I expect similar results as with the above. I was given my PV initially as a loan with the expectation that I would write a review and generate sales, you know, take the challenge, see if it works, help us out if it does. After the Flammang treatment I just ended up buying the thing, no way was I gonna ship it off to the next guy on the list, I knew I had to try it on all my guitars! No, I wasn’t paid or otherwise induced to say nice things, I’m reporting as a very satisfied customer.

Now, should you buy one? Well, the same folks that preferred not to buy the ToneRite should probably not buy the Prime Vibe. I understand those that think guitars should open up naturally. I also get that some will think this is all sort of a placebo type effect, I paid my money, I expect to hear a difference, therefore I do. If you are like me and curious, by all means, try this device! This guitar will NOT make a bad a guitar a great one (although I guess I didn’t test that theory, so I don’t know that to be the case), it will make a great guitar better. If the feel and tone of a great, well played, fully open guitar is something you’ve either experienced and/or wanted to have for yourself, the Prime Vibe will get you closer, faster and pretty painlessly. Will your results vary? Well, sure! Will you regret this purchase? Nope.

Highly recommended.

Posts: 790 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post