Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Technical and Repair Info.    primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12

Moderators: Lambo, Rockerbob
Go
New
Find
Tools

primeVibe: Seasoning My Guitar
 Login/Join 
posted
I have no association to primeVibe. I wanted to start a thread where Collings folks comment on this product. primeVibe turns your guitar into a loudspeaker by using a small amplifier that puts the music into two transducers that are placed on the top of the guitar, one on the pickguard and one just below the center of the bridge.

I wanted to borrow a friend's ToneRite; I had used it on my D2HBbAV for 60 hours. I noticed a little change, and then he asked for it back. So when I thought to borrow it again, he had loaned it out to someone else. I then picked up on a thread about primeVibe on the Martin forum and decided to try the primeVibe instead of the ToneRite.

I had considered the Acoustic Breakthrough process, but never followed through. I read the posting about Acoustic Alchemy (and noticed that Elambo at one point had the guitar for sale). I didn't think I was worth it (either process), that I would want to spend that much on a guitar for me. For a small percentage of the cost of AB or AA, I could try the primeVibe and not have to ship any guitars anywhere (whew!), and I could "season" all of my guitars for the cost of the one device.

The package came quickly. Customer support has been fine. I have had minor problems, not with the device, but with the mp3 player I hooked it up to--it kept running out of power. I got an extension cord today at Radio Shack so I can plug the primeVibe into my computer headphone jack, turn on Pandora, set the computer to always on, and let it go.

I first seasoned my OM2HGcust (deep body). I can't tell much of a difference, except to say that I like it better. I liked it before. I think it sounds a little better. I don't know how long it was on the OM because I kept finding the mp3 player shut off. It was a great guitar; I think it is a little better.

I next have been trying it on my D2HBbAV. This is one of the finest guitars I have ever owned (which includes many Martins, including pre-wars, and now three Collings) and it has sustain that lasts forever (it seems). But I thought it sounded a bit like "a tree needing to figure out it was now a guitar." I played it after one hour of primeVibe and it sounded nice, but I don't know that I could tell the difference. (Can you hear a 10% increase if you know that is what has happened? I'm not saying it changed 10%, but it is hard, it seems to me to notice a small change in the sound of a guitar unless it happens right in front of you.) I seasoned it for another hour. This time I could feel the difference: the top and side were resonating as I played it; that has not happened before. I, again, think it sounds better, and I love it when a guitar resonates as I play it; it juices me up, it feels good, it is a responsiveness that I enjoy.

I will write more as more unfolds. I think my guitars sound better. I am pleased so far.

I would ask, as the original poster, that this thread stay on what users of the device are finding in the experimenting with it, and others ask questions if they would like. I would like those who have not used the device to not post any messages criticizing or praising it. Thank you.

Bob K

Posts: 1149 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. There is a terrific thread over on the Mandolin Cafe, in the Repair section by 'Big Joe' of Gibson mandolin factory fame who is currently using it. It's a great thread.

Posts: 6217 | Location: Northern British Columbia  | Registered: November 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case my humor in this post does not come across, I have only a happy grin on my face now!!!

Independent user reports appear to agree that primeVibe seasons quicker and with better results than ToneRite.

I can interpret Kairo's playing his obviously fine Collings guitars after an hour or two of primeVibe seasoning two ways: either it is a complement to primeVibe's success that users are checking for results after an hour, or I have a tough hill to climb because you guys want your cake and to eat it too, right now!!!

I'll take the former, not the later! Smile

$99 primeVibe seasons all guitars including solid body and bass, violin, viola, cello, double bass, ukulele, harmonica, even drums! www.prime-Vibe.com

James Romeyn, Founder/CEO
Debra Romeyn, Manager

Posts: 30 | Location: Cache Valley, Utah, USA | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of Lambo
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see reviews rolling through. Controversial as they may be, I believe there's potential for this technology as well as ToneRite's, which is why I've run a few guitars through the ringer - positive results in EVERY case.

Which brings me to:

quote:
Originally posted by KairosKraft:
I read the posting about Acoustic Alchemy (and noticed that Elambo at one point had the guitar for sale).

It appears that I may have failed with my previous explanation for why that guitar was offered for sale. It was precisely because the process turned it - at the time my 2nd favorite guitar - into an equal of my 1st, thus creating a tremendously expensive redundancy, that one of the two had to go. It's an easy-to-misinterpret testament for the success of that process and those like it; certainly not indicative of failure. I have quite a few rosewood OMs so it was the one which was ultimately chosen. I had many offers but took it off the market when I envisioned the remorse I'd feel, something I'm sure of today. I now keep them separate - one at work, one at home - and it was the right move.

I don't want people to be erroneously turned off of the concept of guitar processing by reading KairosKraft's quote which misinterpreted the reason for my sale.

Good luck to you, James and Debra! I think you'll discover many people on this forum who are open to your product, especially after Kairos' review.

Posts: 6722 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elambo,

Thanks for clarifying. I did not think that your thoughts of sale for the guitar didn't mean you weren't happy with the results. I just didn't know.

Anyone else using primeVibe?

Bob K

Posts: 1149 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Members in good standing, please post here if interested in a "primeVibe Audition". I will ship a new primeVibe kit to one member, who will audition primeVibe for one week, then ship the entire primeVibe kit (at their own expense) to the next person on the list, who will audition primeVibe for one week, etc, etc. The last (fifth person maximum) on the list will ship primeVibe back to me.

USPS Priority Shipping is $10.75 flat rate in free USPS shipping carton. So, your cost is $10.75 to participate. Anyone participating in the primeVibe audition will get free shipping for primeVibe purchase within one month of the end of the Audition.

For all purchases made by Collings Forum members (including KairosKraft), primeVibe donates a portion of the sale to the Collings Forum to help with operating costs.

$99 primeVibe seasons all guitars including solid body and bass, violin, viola, cello, double bass, ukulele, harmonica, even drums! www.prime-Vibe.com

James Romeyn, Founder/CEO
Debra Romeyn, Manager

Posts: 30 | Location: Cache Valley, Utah, USA | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of Lambo
posted Hide Post
What a great offer, PrimeVibe.

5 people should jump on this, quick.

Posts: 6722 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in! What do I need to do?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 227 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good idea. Better to exercise the guitar to multiple frequencies than just one and this is more practical than putting the guitar in front of a stereo or some such for an extended period.

www.acousticbreakthrough.com - The Secret to World-Class Tone.

Posts: 26 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: June 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to give it a try. Just let me know if I need to do anything for now.

Posts: 1538 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sign me up, I'd love to give this a try!

Posts: 951 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a shot. Count me in.

#6186 2000 OM3HG
#3876 1998 D3
http://rockyandhisfriends.com/

Posts: 2210 | Location: Lambertville, NJ | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post