Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Collings Electric Guitars    Okay, you got me. I-35
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Tools

Okay, you got me. I-35
 Login/Join 
posted
After many years of going through guitars like water, especially 335s and Historic Les Pauls, I am ready to put on my "big boy pants" and purchase my first, and hopefully last, Collings hollowbody electric.

I have owned many 335s (Dot, Historic 63, Fat Neck) and other than the Fat Neck, have not regretted selling any of them.

I will soon be receiving an insurance settlement and I am considering an I-35 (as well as a Collings acoustic). Other than superior workmanship and solid woods, what should I expect tone wise, playability and size compared to a Historic 335 from the I35?

Your comments and insights are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 45 | Location: One room country shack. | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will love the I35 but be sure to look at the I35LC. I personally think that it nails the 335 sound better than a solid wood !35. There is nothing wrong in any way, shape or form with the solid wood guitars, they are just different sounding than the laminate. I decided I like the tone of the LC best, and this really surprised me.

You might also want to look at the new 16" SoCo LC and the solid wood SoCo's

Posts: 212 | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though both models are inspired by the Gibson ES335, I find that they have their own sonic qualities. They do not sound like Gibsons. I prefer the fuller sounding I35lc.

Posts: 467 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked measurements and the I35 is closer in size to the ES356/339 variants from Gibson:

I 35
Body length: 17 5/8
Lower bout width: 15

ES 335
BL: 20
LBW: 16 1/2

ES359/339
BL: 17
LBW: 14.25

Heritage 535/555
BL: 17 7/8
LBW: 16

So perhaps the 356/339 is a better comparison to an I35?

I played a 339 today and really enjoyed it. Workmanship was okay. Now I am staring to think the I35 may be the best fit as the body size seems almost perfect, at least for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DogsPart2,

Posts: 45 | Location: One room country shack. | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My decade long search for a lifetime electric guitar ended with a 2007 Collings I-35. It is my #1 and I don't expect it will ever be unseated.

Posts: 592 | Location: The greatest city in the world: Chicago! | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I do not have the experience you have with other models of guitars I am really pleased with my I 35 LC.

If I could only play it half as good as it looked I would be happy. Very comfortable guitar, love the look and finish of it. I would buy another.

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Moderator"
Picture of elambo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill browder:
Though both models are inspired by the Gibson ES335, I find that they have their own sonic qualities.

While I agree with that statement, my thirst for a 335 was completely quenched by an I-35 Deluxe. Different, but similar enough for me, and I actually prefer the Collings.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my thirst for a 335 was quenched by a 335 snagged off Sweetwater for $1699 (closeout). Never a big Gibson fan, but at that price I'll force myself to be content.

It's the end of the world as we know it

Posts: 1663 | Location: york beach, maine | Registered: September 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AIM: Online Status For joewhadya
posted Hide Post
Hey Y'all

I have a bunch of Gibsons and several other high end electrics. Among them is a 1991 Dot 335 blond that has Tom Holmes pups. It is to die for. It is a really beautiful playing and sounding 335. It is probably my 7th or 8th 335, but it will be my last. That being said, an I-35 is most assuredly in my future.

I am blessed to own two stunning Collings acoustics. A 2003 CJKA that is a work of art, and the sweetest little 2006 OM Englemann that just is as enjoyable a guitar as I have ever encountered.

I am waiting on a couple years tax returns delayed by a failed business investment. When they hit I will search out an I-35. Shouldn't be too long.

Joe

Posts: 64 | Location: Hayward, CA | Registered: May 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with you guys. I just sold my 355 and bought a "workin' man's" guitar. A I-35 LC Smile

The thing is absolutely 'alive'!

Posts: 62 | Location: South Carolina, USA | Registered: December 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill browder:
Though both models are inspired by the Gibson ES335, I find that they have their own sonic qualities. They do not sound like Gibsons. I prefer the fuller sounding I35lc.

That answer surprised me after trying the SoCo 16 LC, I35 and I35 LC. None of the Collings had the powerful tone of the best 335 I tried but the larger SoCo LC had the most low end tone.

It seems like there just aren't that many SoCo LCs in the world as I do my pre-sales looks and wondering.

The I35 and LC version seemed enough like my PRS Hollow Body I that I wasn't ready to make a transaction (trade, sell) in same way the SoCo and a 1959 Historic 335 hit me.

Thank you.

Posts: 55 | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe,

"Where you going with that 335 in your hand?" or some lyric like that. I have an '83 Custom Shop 335 Dot that I think has Holmes pups. How were you able to determine your 335 has Holmes pups?

I ordered an I-35 Deluxe shortly after learning that Collings was starting to make electrics in February 2007. It is a stunning guitar in every way except I have never thought it had the sound of my '83. I have tried different strings, and amps, but the I-35 just doesn't have the sound I was hoping for... I haven't tried having the I-35 re-wired so the tone circuit is more responsive. Anyone had any experience with re-wiring?

Indigoblues

Posts: 30 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: January 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post