Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Collings Electric Guitars    I 35 vs Deluxe vs LC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Tools

I 35 vs Deluxe vs LC
 Login/Join 
posted
I am getting very close to buying an I 35. Does anybody have experience comparing the laminate to a carved to model? I was wondering how will carved top affect the sound? Is it really worth the extra money?

Also, does a Brazilian fretboard sound better or is it just more collectable?

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
irielivin I ordered my I 35LC really based on the dollar investment. I could not afford the I35 but I have heard and read here that the difference is tonal and I gather they really are different guitars.

Good luck with your decision. I am sure you will be happy with whatever direction you take. I will be interested to read the input of those with more knowledge of your question.

Posts: 8 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 730 | Location: Central KY | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maplebaby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64VoLvXKqo

Thanks just what I was looking for. The deluxe definitely sounded a little more alive and resonant.

Anybody else have thoughts?

Posts: 2 | Registered: November 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Initially, I liked the LC better because I thought it sounded warmer and more woody. After a second listen, I think I prefer the Deluxe's more open and airy sound. It's also a little brighter, and you can always dial that away but it's almost impossible to add.

Posts: 200 | Location: St. Petersburg, FL | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This one (LC) sounds pretty amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...wyQo&feature=related
Perhaps we should take the guitar styles/skills into consideration in comparing the to link posted earlier in this thread.

-------------------------
'10 Collings OM3MRA Varnish
'04 Collings OM1ASB
'04 Martin D28GE

Posts: 495 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Careful: this video sounds VERY different depending upon the speakers you are using. The I-35LC sounds best on the tiny little speaker built-in to most computers, the I-35 Deluxe sounds great on bigger external speakers.

Posts: 597 | Location: The greatest city in the world: Chicago! | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are things about the LC I liked - the neck position was just great - woody - warm - not thrilled about the bridge but I could dial that back. Thought the tuners and knobs were a bit cheap feeling (considering the Collings fit 'n finish rep..) - overall nice sound and great versatility

Posts: 262 | Location: Norwalk, CT | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased an I35LC.

I decided that I like the tone of the I35LC better than the tone of the solid wood I35. To me it is more like the tone of a great 335 with better attack. The solid wood guitars seem to not be as hollow sounding, something more akin to a cross between a 335 and LP. They sound great but... different from a 335. I was actually surprised by liking the Laminate better and my wallet rejoices at the savings.

I don't find the tuners or knobs to feel cheap. They are Gotoh tuners and the knobs are just standard, plus the pots are very smooth. This whole guitar feels like perfection.

Posts: 212 | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice video, thanks.

I prefer the sound of the Deluxe although the LC was no slouch.

It would be interesting to compare both Collings with a Historic 59 or 63 ES335.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DogsPart2,

Posts: 47 | Location: One room country shack. | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video comparing the two doesn't reveal the differences as much as playing them live. The I35 sounds more like playing a solid body in that the sound is punchier and more direct. I find that the solid wood reminds me of my Grosh Setneck or a LP. The I35 LC sounds more hollow to me. They are very different sounding especially in the midrange.

Posts: 212 | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I played both, the lc is much more like a 335. I liked both, it is a matter of taste.

Posts: 389 | Registered: November 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post