Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Other Guitar Makers    New Greven j35
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Tools

New Greven j35
 Login/Join 
posted
Here is my brand spankin' new Greven 24.9' short scale ,14 fret, Adirondack top, mahogany B/S, Brazillian fretboard and bridge, early 30's burst, two tone bar, tapered braced,feather light j35 v. My first impressions are very strong. Firstly, this guitar is a Cannon, loud and proud, but responds to the lightest touch. I have played many J style guitars in my search for one in the last year , and this one nails the vintage gibson mahogany j sound. The adirondack top sounds warm and does not sound like a new guitar to me. It will be my extreme pleasure see how amazing this will get through the years.It is the best J35 John has built to date, his words, not mine. The ceiling is very very high for this one. John Grevens work is very arts and craftsy, and fits the vintage tone to a T.I imagine this j35 looks and feels like a Gibson would of, hanging on the wall of a shop some 70 years ago. Bluegrass, blues,strumming while singing, it does it all. Did I mention it is a Cannon? This guitar is the loudest guitar I own, a keeper for sure
http://s1013.photobucket.com/a...uitars/greven%20j35/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Diego De Vargas(3dv),

Posts: 1558 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: April 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very nice. Just add mojo! Congratulations Juan!

Posts: 2381 | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes nothing to convince me of the quality of sound that you can get from a Greven guitar. Congratulations on your new guitar, but the photos are of a 14 fret guitar, not a 12 fret. Smile

Jim

Posts: 531 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,post edited!

Posts: 1558 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: April 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congrats Don. I've played a couple of Grevens and really like them. by the way, I was at Acoustic Vibes today and thought of you, and wondered how that Greven was coming along. I'm glad you found what you were after. play hard.

Posts: 2672 | Location: American Southwest | Registered: February 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert.Anything exciting at AV?

posted Hide Post
Looks almost like the Gibson I had in '63.

Several Collings, a few others...gone over to the dark side

Posts: 509 | Location: Frostbite Falls | Registered: December 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Robert.Anything exciting at AV?

yes, a lot. for another thread. enjoy that Greven. I'll look for you in Taos in a year or so.

Posts: 2672 | Location: American Southwest | Registered: February 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stunner, hoping to join the J35 club myself.
Phil

D1,D-1A, C10 DB, OM-1A,1953 D18

Posts: 1522 | Location: UK | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful looking guitar,Don Diego!

I'm kinda' happy you posted this,as I've suddenly realized I'd like a "J" style hog box to finalize my stable(currently at 4 gits).

I don't want to become a collector,but I have the "Hots" for this type of instrument lately.

It is very different from my current two square corner dreads,and the 2 OM's(obviously),so I think I can rationalize going for one "last" addition to ride off into the sunset with -Smile

Question.....I am leaning towards a Kopp K-35A,but would certainly be open to other quality contenders.

I'm not wild about the new Gibson J-45 I played,and have access to the inventory at Mandolin Bros.It is not too close to where I live,but I get there about 2 times a year.Remember how I missed playing the Hog Kopp,that you liked?I missed it by a week,and only got to try the RW model,which was not to my taste.

Funny,because I got re-interested last week,as I played(and was blown away)by...are you ready for this?....a '67 Epi Texan,at a local store.I know this model is not held to a high esteem(though a pal had this in my college youth,and I always liked it) but "this particular one" is KILLER GOOD!

I'm not about to plunk down the $2500 asking price,for a badly cracked instrument,and need some time to save anyway.Bringing me to the newbie contenders,like Kopp,Walker,Chris Bozung and obviously now...Greven,who has been an unknown to me.

I know you started a great Slope Shoulder thread,so how did you come to the Greven?

Very interested,am I.

Best of luck,and enjoy your prize

This message has been edited. Last edited by: magictwanger,

Posts: 587 | Registered: June 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats 3dv! Play the heck out of that thing in good health.

Posts: 795 | Location: London, England | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!
Beautiful guitar,indeed.John Greven is a great builder.
Enjoy that in good health.

Best,
Yiannis

Posts: 426 | Location: Thessaloniki,Greece | Registered: December 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post