Collingsguitars.com    Collingsforum.com    Collings Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Gear  Hop To Forums  Other Guitar Makers    John Greven 2013 Healdsburg Collection!!!
Go
New
Find
Tools

John Greven 2013 Healdsburg Collection!!!
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi All...

This will be a long thread with a lot of pictures...most of which are on a slide show linked to this thread...I hope you will take the time to look at all the pictures and enjoy the thread...and I want to especially thank my best geetar buddy...Mike Thrash "dadthrash" for all of his help posting the pictures...he deserves much credit for helping to make this thread come to life!!!

Last year was John Greven's 50th year as a luthier, and also saw John produce guitar #2200. A pretty remarkable feat...hand building and bringing 2200 guitars to life and sending them out into the world to help create music. John has made guitars for such notable artists as George Harrison, Johnny Cash, John Denver, Kotaro Oshio, The Dirt Band, Steve Martin, and Mary Chapin-Carpenter, to name but a few. John has also built around 300 banjos, most of them vintage Gibson Mastertone replicas. John was also the repair shop foreman for George Gruhn/Gruhn's Guitars from 1969 to 1975, right at the very beginning of, and right at the very epicenter of, the vintage guitar boom, and he and his staff developed a great many of the repair techniques now used for vintage instrument repair and restoration.

I think it fair to say, that if anyone deserves the title of "Master Luthier" then John Greven does...

So here we have a thread to celebrate John Greven's 2013 Healdsburg Guitar Collection. John will be taking 9...maybe 10...guitars to Healdsburg, and to whet the appetite for those whom are coming...and for those who are not able to attend...we have a fairly extensive pictorial of the instruments that will be there at the festival.

Most of the pictures will be in a slideshow linked to this thread, so you can go and view them if you wish. The four guitars pictured here in this thread are 4 of the 6 new guitars that John made for the show, and the four that will be initially displayed on our table. We have also included a group shot of all the guitars that we will be bringing to the show, and I will offer a brief description of all the guitars coming to the show.

I will be working with John at his table...and we want to cordially invite all who attend the festival to come to our table and say hi, and play John's guitars. All but one of the guitars has already been sold, but all of them will be available for play...some will be limited access per the new owners requests...but many will be happily and readily available to play.

We hope to meet as many of you good folks as possible...please do come by and say hi...and play a guitar or two!!!

Here are the guitars of the "Greven 2013 Healdsburg Collection"

The "Greven 9" are as follows:

1. Vintage Gibson L-00: John's personal L-00, he brought it to use as a demo for a seminar he is doing. You are all welcome to play this wonderful guitar.

2. Greven 00-12 Fret Lutz Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood: A huge, warm and woody sounding guitar. You are welcome to play this...and you WILL be impressed!!!

3. Greven 000 White Lady Custom Lutz Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood #2200: This is John's 2200th guitar made...a remarkable feat for a one man, all hand made shop. This is John's famous "White Lady" design. It is a very powerful, vintage toned 000. This guitar is sold, but is playable with limited access through John.

4. Greven Vintage D-28 Herringbone replica Red Spruce/Brazilian: Superb brazilian rosewood, with an amazingly fine grain Adi top, 1935 style sitka braces, all hide glue construction. A powerhouse of a bluegrass guitar...super light...super loud...bell like ringing/chiming tone. This guitar is for sale $10,500 and is available to play.

5. Greven Prairie State Jumbo Lutz Spruce/Australian Lacewood: This is my personal guitar. It is named "Toondar" after Swedish Heavyweight boxer Ingemar Johansson's left hand. One strum in drop D and you will know why...does the name Bosendorfer mean anything to you {;-). This guitar is not for sale, but is available to play...and you really should try it!

6. Greven Kotaro Oshio Signature Model Dreadnaught Englemann Spruce/Honduran Rosewood: Thanks to Japanese fingerstyle sensation Kotaro Oshio, John and this guitar model have become in the Orient, what James Olson and his James Taylor SJ model guitar are in the US...a resoundingly popluar and in demand guitar. This guitar is sold, but is available to play...come try it, and see what all the buzz is all about!

7. Greven J Custom Cocobolo Lutz Spruce/Cocobolo: This is just an amazing guitar...AND...the Cocobolo came from the AGF's own ShabbyChic Guitars!!! John made this guitar for me and swore...many many times...never again...as John is allergic to Cocobolo. It offers some style tributes to Guild and to Bozo guitars, and is a thunderous guitar with great sustain...and a VERY VERY BIG V NECK. A stellar guitar...it is sold...but is available to play, and boy you really should play this!

8. Greven Custom 000 Cutaway Lutz Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood: This guitar was built for the AGF's own Bill R...and it is a fabulous instrument...check out the stunning brazilian on this one...just like the set on the D-28!!! This guitar is big and warm, and woody, and fundamental...a very vintage sounding 000 with a custom headstock shape designed by Bill R...VERY NICE!!! This guitar is sold...but is available for limited play access through John and Bill R.

9. Greven "The Greven Nick Lucas" replica Old Gibson Sitka/Brazilian: This guitar is a joyous guitar to hold and play. Loud and proud with a big strong but sweet voice. Once you pick it up...you don't want to put it down. This guitar is sold, but is available to play with very limited access through John.

Well... there they are...The Greven 2013 Healdsburg Collection...enjoy the pictures...and we will hope to meet you all at the festival...please come by and say hi!!!

Very Best Regards
John Greven and Duffy Callaway..."mcduffnw"

Posts: 120 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREVEN VINTAGE D-28 HERRINGBONE REPLICA

Posts: 120 | Location: Portland, Oregon | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREVEN WHITE LADY 000 SERIAL #2200

posted Hide Post
GREVEN NICK LUCAS REPLICA

GREVEN "CALLAWAY" CUSTOM COCO J

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcduffnw,

posted Hide Post
HERE IS A LINK TO THE "SLIDESHOW" OF THE REMAINING 5 GREVEN GUITARS THAT WILL BE AT THE 2013 HEALDSBURG GUITAR FESTIVAL (not already pictured above):

http://s261.photobucket.com/us...%20Healdsburg%202013

ENJOY!

Best Regards,
Duff

posted Hide Post
Stunning! Thanks for sharing. Would love to play a Greven someday. Saw Mary Chapin Carpenter playing her 2 Grevens last March at a concert. Very, very nice sound.

Posts: 982 | Location: Missouri | Registered: May 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BAR:
Stunning! Thanks for sharing. Would love to play a Greven someday. Saw Mary Chapin Carpenter playing her 2 Grevens last March at a concert. Very, very nice sound.

Hi BAR...

My wife and John Greven and his wife saw MCC and Shawn Colvin this year in concert too! Mary sent John tickets, and we got to go backstage and meet her and Shawn, and it just so happened that MCC's two Grevens were sitting there. You could see that John was quietly very proud as he picked up his two progeny and gave them the once over...and later during the concert...right at the beginning...Mary called John out to the audience and thanked him for his guitars, and the music they have helped her make through the years.

That was a wonderful moment for John, and yes I agree, MCC's guitars do have this wonderful, very earthy/organic sound. That is typical of John's tone, and it is so perfect for the singer songwriter type of player. It was very interesting to hear MCC's Greven's compared to Shawn Colvin's Martin signature model...which was also a really fine sounding guitar...but very different...much more glassy and slightly metallic sounding...but great tone in a much different way...and BOY can Ms Colvin play...she has some serious chops.

It was a delightful evening...and so fun to see John getting some "love" for his work. Luthiers work so much "in the shadows" so to speak...

I hope you get a chance to play a Greven someday as well. Hey...you know where to find us in about a week and a half...we will have 9 guitars just a waitin' for ya!!!

Best Regards
duff